Toddler Talk

These days Victor is talking up a storm -- from the time when we were counting on our hands the words he knows (and uses) to now -- when he knows things like candidate, drizzle and tornado. It's been an amazing transformation. In October, the county speech professionals came and started services -- a few months ago he graduated from those and has become a chatter box.
That taught me a couple things -- go with my instinct -- even if people think my instinct would be not not worry about it (it wasn't). I know that getting a little help here and there does us all some good -- and it certainly didn't hurt Victor. Having Ms. Carla come was as much about training us as it was helping Victor get words out of us mouth. It helped us better notice the subtle changes he had from week to week -- that in the blur of life, I might have just not noticed.
It also taught me the benefit of having more than one person worry about your kiddo. There is so much to worry about - so many plates to keep in the air -- that if you have a worry about your little person (or any person really) get someone else on board to watch and worry with you. Having the speech therapist helped me know that someone else was watching out for that piece that I wasn't 100% sure about -- so I could worry about other things, like how to catch him or where to find a train to watch or which roads at the airport give us the best views of landing and taking off.

Of course many of you are wondering why is she writing about speech when there are so many other things on your plate that we want to know about.....well, as I was putting little man to bed, as he reached over and stroked my arm and said "I love you Momma" -- I was so thankful that he's talking, expressing himself and sharing his heart with us. It's a gift and we're thankful for it.

4 comments:

That is soooo sweet--Grayson has told me that he "wuvs" me twice and both times I burst into tears. :)

On another note, I tagged you---check out my blog for details!

5/26/2008 9:54 PM  

Aww Marie, that's sweet. You can never hear "I love you momma" too much.

5/26/2008 10:21 PM  

A precious moment indeed. Beautifully expressed, Marie.

5/27/2008 6:49 AM  

Oh, I tagged you, too. I guess you only have to do it once. Or, you could do it twice and that would be fun, too.

5/27/2008 12:08 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home