Need something to bake

Try these from the June/July 2007 issue of Cook's Country -- they are good.

Texas Pink Grapfruit Bars
Crust:
1 1/3 c all-purpose flour
1/3 c packed light brown sugar
1/8 tsp ground cardomon (don't buy too much - it looses it's flavor quickly)
1/8 tsp salt
8 tbsp unsalted butter cut into 8 pieces (or so)

Filling
4 large eggs
1 1/4 c sugar
2 tsp grated zest plus 2/3 c juice from 1 large pink grapefruit -- I think it's good to have an extra on hand because some just aren't so juicy -- if you have extra juice a little 7-up, vodka & a people magazine -- you are all set!
2 tsp grated zest plus 1 tbsp juice from 1 lime
1/8 tsp salt
3 drops food coloring (optional but helpful)
Confectioner's sugar for dusting

1. For the crust -
Preheat oven to 350 - make sure rack is in the middle of the oven.
Prep 8 X 8 inch baking pan -- they say spray baking pan w/cooking spray & line w/foil to overhang edges -- I didn't do that -- I just cooking sprayed & floured, all seems well at this point.
Combine all the crust ingrediants in a food processor & pulse until looks like a coarse meal -- or until Victor gets bored pressing the buttons on the food processor (about 2 minutes)
Press mixture into prepped pan & bake until golden brown -- about 30-35 minutes (or until you feel like it's getting too hot in the kitchen & it's crazy to run the air & the oven at the same time, so you figure it's good enough)

2. For the filling:
Meanwhile (I think it's funny they used this word) cook all other ingrediants except confectioner's sugar in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, whisking constantly until puddling like -- about 6-8 minutes. (I think it took us more like 10 or 15) Strain over warm crust & spread to an even layer.

3. Bake until filling is set (you know I'm just reading that part now) Cool to room tempature & refrigerate until chilled -- at least 4 hours. Cut into 2 inch squares & dust w/confectioner's sugar just before serving.
Well -- even though evidently I totally missed this last step....the cookie I had was good.....oops. I guess I'll throw them in the fridge & bake them tomorrow.

I guess I'll pick up some ice cream for book club afterall.......and I thought I was getting my cooking grove on here too......maybe since we really cooked the filling, that's why it's set up so nicely......that must be it.

1 comments:

LOL!!!
I love it!!!
I can't stop laughing, really.
Ice cream is always good.
The bars do sound yummy, though. I'll have to try them sometime!
me

5/15/2007 1:53 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home