Flying the ......skies

So we've landed back in North Carolina and are home. Victor was a real trooper through our journey yesterday. He was happy, and relaxed and cried briefly when I clunked his head. He smiled at everyone and loved looking around. I think he's an extraovert for sure. Our planes both had many children on board, and I have a few things I need to get off my chest.
First, if you see a mother, especially if she is flying solo, and she's struggling to get the stroller on the security screening belt...don't huff...help. Offer to put it up. I stood there with the diaperbag, stroller and squirmy baby and instead of lending a hand, I got attitude. That sucks. And then the icing on my security crap cake was my shoes looked troublesome - I kicked them off and tossed them on the belt.
Remember the fussy baby has just as much of a right to be on the plane as anybody else. Oh Mr. Business Traveler you might think the world revolves around you, but instead of rolling your eyes and being annoyed, play peek-a-boo for a minute, smile, just get a grip. You aren't all that. I was blessed with a fiddler, a Spanish speaking Italian man, a family with a squirmy 17 month old and an old couple that would have been blown away if a strong wind came through, as my seat-mates. But my heart bled for the woman with the little baby who wasn't impressed with traveling, and her seat-mate did not hide his displeasure. Put on your big-boy pants and lend a hand because karma will bite you in the butt one day Mr. Grumpy-puss.
I know that the world doesn't revolve around those of us travelers with children, but instead of adding to the challenge of the day - offer to help because a little kindness can really make a difference for the parent and the child.
Traveling for us all isn't easy - and when we help another person along the way, we can add to the feeling of adventure and kindness, rather than grumping up the experience.

1 comments:

WELL SAID, and Victor is getting so big!

7/15/2006 9:06 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home