You know it's funny


Before I had Victor, I was never a fan of tomato soup. I didn't like it at all. But, one of my first foods at the hospital was tomato soup. It really captured that moment for me somehow -- so whenever I miss him & I happen to be having lunch, I order tomato soup -- and I'm brought back to that day - those first moments discovering our little man. It makes me realize how visceral becoming a mom is -- my brother laughs at how often I say that -- but it's true. It's like I have a new organ that makes me aware of something unsafe, sappy with love or pace with worry. I ache when he cries in pain or with fear. It's something I had heard of, but was completely unaware of until he arrived.

What's also funny -- my parents met while they worked at Campbell's Soup, in the factory where they make tomato soup. The Catholic school I went to growing up was across the street from that factory and from there I could watch the trainloads of tomatoes come in to be processed. I was always amazed to see a whole train, with hundreds of cars, filled to a tall pile of tomatoes.

I wonder if Victor will like tomato soup when he tries it for the first time?

2 comments:

Cool story! I've gotta try tomato soup again, because I've never liked it, either. :)

5/10/2006 6:48 PM  

I bet all those other family associations play a part in your tomato soup sentiments.

You know you said that to me about having a new organ in your body, and for me it's like a whole double set of 5 senses. I sometimes feel like I am inside my baby's skin and can experience what she experiences. Like it's me looking out from her little face.

5/10/2006 7:49 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home